A collection of random diatribes.


Monday, February 13, 2006

He lives off the land...

I have an uncle, John, who hunts. He lives off the land half the year (or at least from what I remember). He is the quintessential "man's man."

The man works six months a year doing whatever he does, and the other six months he hunts. He has a half a mountain at his beckoning because he owns it. Literally. Bought and paid for.

One night, when I was about five or six, I was watching him pack for a hunting trip he was going on.

Having yet to see a gun packed, only a bow, I said, "What are you hunting for?"

"Bear."

"Where's your gun?" I asked.

He looked at the bow, then back at me. "What the hell do I need a gun for? I got my bow," he said simply.

I never gave that man a smart mouth.

Ever.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

It might just be me, but I think that's a terribly horrible way to hunt. I would choose a gun over a bow any day of the week. You have to be so much more precise with your hits with a bow, I'd imagine.

2/14/2006 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

Why is that horrible?

It requires more skill, thus more a measure of the man.

But maybe I'm wrong, since Blogger doesn't seem to want to put this comment up.

2/14/2006 07:33:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are various philosphies regarding both guns and bows. However, people give guns way much more credit than they deserve, and bows much less credit. In the end, both require you to hit an area about the size of a gallon milk jug.

2/14/2006 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger Stewie said...

Renaldo pretty much said it, but I tend to agree with Ace in the fact that it's more of a measure to hunt a bear with a bow than a gun.

2/15/2006 12:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never told me Ted Nugent was your uncle!

2/15/2006 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger Stewie said...

Carrie! That made me laugh because if he is very similar to Nugent, in both political and hunting beliefs.

2/15/2006 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Renaldo pretty much said it, but I tend to agree with Ace in the fact that it's more of a measure to hunt a bear with a bow than a gun.

Not really, that's all perception. A 12 gauge slug from a shotgun or just about any .30 caliber rifle round will merely get stuck in the skull of a Kodiak bear unless it's at point blank. An arrow will go through that same skull.

2/17/2006 08:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home